Friday, February 22, 2013

5th Annual Festival Foods Turkey Trot

As my Achilles is on the mend, I decided to keep my plans for the Festival Foods 5th Annual Turkey Trot in Appleton.  Just before my tendinitis kicked in, I was at about 4.8 miles max.  This was a five mile run.  I hadn't run more than the 4.37 miles of Tyranena in at least a month or two.  I was ambitious, but cautious.

Race shirt and bib pick up was Wednesday, the day before the race/Thanksgiving, from 2-6pm.  With the weather predicted as unseasonably warm, I expected the 5-6pm after-work hour would be a busy time to get my packet.  It was full of volunteers and tables in a large room, making pick up a cinch.  There was no bag of junk, nor goodies for that matter.  There was no bag at all.  Just the bright orange shirt and bib.  The bib, however, included a pull-off tab good for one 5-inch pumpkin pie!  Yummers!




I was totally jacked to have a bib that said "5 mile run" instead of "2 mile walk" like the Turkey Trots of my past.  For once, I was going to be in the division of a race that was the farthest distance offered!!!

The BF and I went out to eat, as has become our night-before-race tradition, and got the gear ready for the morning.  We were pumped about the forecast.  40s!  The wind was the only variable.  We weren't sure what it would do.

In the morning, after breakfast, the BF and I headed to the race.  What a crowd!  Tons of people racing, and thankfully, tons of volunteers.

The race had separated walkers and runners, and made people with dogs start behind. Lovely plan, until the runners with dogs catch up to slow pokes like me.  Even worse when two dogs ram into the back of my legs. 

So, it is official: I absolutely HATE dogs in races.  No offense to the dog lovers of the world, but it is just way too much chaos for me.  I almost fell from those giant, uncontrolled beasts, and it's not like the race can effectively determine which owners are good vs. bad.  Of course there are some who keep good control over their dogs, and running with them is a better experience for them.  But, seriously, I HATE IT!

ok, done ranting for now.  All in all, I'd do it again.

(The pie was yum!  ;)



The BF and I before the race:



The Turkey and I:







No comments:

Post a Comment