Wednesday, March 13, 2013

More Than a Race

In the Air on the Way to Baltimore, via Detroit...

It's been a long time since I've seen a flight attendant that seemed to enjoy his/her job. Is this just me? I get that it can be boring and redundant, continually telling people to fasten their seat belts, lift their tray tables, and especially droning through that safety dealio at the beginning of every flight. But still, someday you'd think I'd see a happy one. One who seemed really glad to be doing what he/she is doing.

Anyway, whatever.

I've had a hectic morning in preparing to head out. I saw the kiddos off to school with big hugs, went to a meeting, dictated countless case notes, and finally got to head off to start the trip. I met the BF at his place to drop off my car. He gave me a ride to the airport. He's flying out tomorrow, and we're coming back together. Seems silly to park two cars at the same airport. That meant airport smooches for me. (yay!)

He seemed pretty glad he offered, when I was all lit up and giddy on the way there. I could finally just let go of all the planning and packing stresses from the last couple weeks, and just enjoy the fact that i was going.

A Business Trip

I'm very excited about this upcoming race, but the reality is that this conference I'm attending is also a huge thrill for me.

I'm a patient advocate. I help people who have little or no insurance get access to programs for free medicine. It's an incredibly fulfilling job that I love very much. I serve adults with mental illness, and get to work with amazing case managers, nurses, therapists, and doctors. I love my job. I truly love it.

Loving it as much as I do, I am always excited to find ways to to improve. I'm constantly in search of discounts, new programs, etc. For several years, I've also been daydreaming of attending the annual national conference on Patient Assistance Programs. I was so thrilled with the thought of a conference based around this thing I do. As it is, anytime find anyone in the area who also does Patient Assistance, I do what I can to connect with them. So many places don't have one set person as an advocate, so, the idea of meeting other advocates from all over, (with all their own unique experiences and knowledge), is just really exciting to me.

In addition, Presidents and Vice Presidents of pharmaceutical companies attend. Likewise, their head people in charge of the programs themselves- all attend this conference. Geeky as it may sound, learning from those people and having opportunity to discuss my experiences and ask my questions is a huge deal for me.

So, for several years, I've asked if I could go. I've gone through several years, the middle of March, knowing this conference was going on while I was sitting there in Wisconsin, doing my thing as usual. So, last year I finally convinced the powers that be that my attendance at this conference was worthy of the cost. I found a scholarship.  I made my case, and with the help of a really cool direct supervisor, the manager was convinced to put my trip into the budget.

How awesome is that?!?! And it could not be better timing! With all this Health Care Reform, Patient Assistance as I know it will likely be completely overhauled. I'm about to have a sneak peek at what things will look like in the near future!  (insert cheering and clapping)

OK, you get the idea. I'm excited.

So, needless to say, a conference I've been drooling over for years, combined with my very first half marathon (a destination race, no less), leads me to be one incredibly pumped girl!!!
For now, I sit in Detroit's lovely airport, waiting for my final flight.



Patience is not a quality I am good at it.  I'll see if I can find it, and blog more later.

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment