Sunday, March 10, 2013

Quick Run to Chicago

On the Road Again

The BF and I headed to Chicago last night after work.  We were packed and ready to go.


On the trip down, we hit Kopp's Frozen custard.  I got a Tiramisu sundae... heaven! 


We found a place nice and close to the Art Institute of Chicago (Club Quarters, Central Loop).  Our main agenda was the "Picasso and Chicago" exhibition, and a run in a new place.  We used the free wifi to scope out our run plan while sipping wine before bed.

Saturday Morning Run in Chicago

We woke up and got ready to run the Lakefront Trail (or LFT, as I've learned it is called- according to the internet).  It was raining/sleeting when we headed out, but nothing too hard.  We walked the blocks (maybe 5-6) from the hotel to the trail as our warm-up.  I had the BF snap this photo of me on the way:

I was bummed to have to wear my dumb running hat, but it did keep my ears warm.  Tights were necessary, as well.  Of course, I still wore my skirt.  Believe it or not, I didn't see any other running skirts while I was out.  Why not, I wonder?  What's up with that???  Chicagoans don't wear skirts?  Well, I do!  Nothing says you can't wear tights with your running skirt.  It works!

Anyway, it was so great to run outside again!  I've been stuck on the treadmill for months, in great fear of falling and getting hurt on the horrible roads and sidewalks this endless winter has given us.  I'm so glad I got a chance to get out before my race next weekend.

It felt great to be outside, even though my body has been a little angry since.  I was surprised to have my Nike+ tell me what a decent pace I was keeping.  I've only been training to run-walk this upcoming half marathon.  My app has me run 4 minutes, and walk 1.  I didn't use the app for this run, so I just ran a while and then walked when I felt I needed it.  So, while on the treadmill I've kept a 13-14 minute/mile pace, this run was more like 10:50, and I felt great.  Maybe the treadmill is way off.  Maybe I just felt so great to be back outside.  Whatever the case, I feel much more confident going into the half marathon this Saturday.

Anyway, I have to spend some time talking about the Lakefront Trail.  If you go to Chicago, and you're a runner, you MUST run the trail.  Even in the winter it was beautiful.  But it's more than that.  It's like a little runner's hang out.  During my five-or-so miles on it, I saw maybe four bikers and two walkers ( and a golf cart and police car), but everyone else was running.  I lost track of the number of running groups there were.  They made me jealous.  I want a running group.  I doubt I could find one that was willing to crawl at my slow pace, but how fun to be in a group of 6-12 people all running the same route together.

And maybe the best part:  I heard the leader of one group yell "ice!" to warn her peers.  It was a little messy out there for a while.  Beware the ice near the Shedd Aquarium!  It's hard to see, and in MANY places.  It melted by the time I came back on my return, thank goodness.

So, what I really want to say is this trail is a treasure.  You run along the lake, beside the hubbub of Chicago's Lakeshore traffic, past the Buckingham Fountain and numerous other sites, all while experiencing this special sense of community with other runners.  Some nod.  Some smile.  Some even say hello.  Many just stay in their own little zone.  But everyone is your peer on this trail, on this morning, in this little community of people that... get it.

When I got back to the meeting spot, I had beaten the BF.  I messed up the setting on my Nike+ and ended up having to do a couple loops.  Anyway, I snapped this photo of our meeting spot.

Lighthouse in the distance; big chunks of ice breaking up along the shore, and stairs leading down.

Before you know it, the BF arrived:


Then it was time to walk back (cool-down) to the hotel, shower, and get ready for the Art Institute.
We hit Starbucks for a quick bite on our way back.


Millennium Park in Winter


We decided to hit Millennium Park before the museum, because we love it there.  It's a sentimental place for us, and who doesn't love the Bean?

The ice rink was up in full swing, so we watched the skaters a bit before settling into Park Grill for lunch.  I was so tempted to skate, but I'm too afraid of getting hurt before my very first 13.1

Me watching the skaters before lunch:


To my delight, we were seated right by the window, where we could watch the skaters more.

Loved it!


After lunch, the Bean!






Art Institute of Chicago- What I Learned about Picasso


We took the bridge from Millennium Park to the Modern wing of the Art Institute.  It's a fun way to enter the museum. 




The lines to get into the museum were ridiculous!  We got there after lunch, as I said- not when they open or something.  Yet, we found the lines out the door!  Crazy!  I've been there several times before, and have never seen that.  I can only assume it was due to this Picasso dealio.

And about that...

ok... so I'm the kind of girl who likes the stuff most people like: Monet, Renoir, Van Gogh, Degas, etc.  I enjoy a lot of the other things, too, but I've never been really big on Picasso.  Some of it is very cool, but the cubism stuff is too much for me.  Still, the BF and I got a whole new perspective on Picasso after having spent some time not too long ago with Ursula and R.S. Johnson.  We were excited to see so many pieces that were from their collection.  We only met them at their gallery, but they were so cool.  Meeting them was an experience we both felt richer having had.

That being said, I learned a lot about Picasso in this exhibit.  Keeping true to my love of lists, here is my summary:

1) I like the stuff before the cubism much better.
2) I lost count of how many women were in his life, but if they weren't fat, he sure painted them that way.  The plaques said, "voluptuous," but these pieces of art were not of women I would call voluptuous.  I hear "voluptuous" and I think curvy, a little heavier, but not what these women were.  I'm so curious what the sizes of his women were.  The two photographs they had posted (of only two of the numerous women) were thin women.
3) The sculpture in Daly Plaza is of a woman's head and shoulders.  I had no idea what it was, but I would not have guessed that.
4) Picasso had a thing for minotaur.  A very icky, sick, twisted thing.  I don't want to even describe the numerous scenes I saw in his drawings of minotaur and women.  Ickity ick, ick, ick.
5) Picasso had children.  And did I mention the numerous women?


Anyway, having been to the Art Institute several times before, the BF and I decided after the Picasso thing to hit some of our favorites.  We had spent a long time in that one area, and I was wearing down.  I didn't even choose to see one of my favorites: the miniature rooms!

Instead, we saw the Monet, Renoir, Degas, Seraut, etc.  Of course, the Chagall windows as well.  I even posed (at the BF's request) as they did in Ferris Bueller.



I really do love art museums.  I'm so excited to go back to the National Gallery of Art... this weekend!  To think, the BF and I will have been to two incredible museums in the span of one week.  From Chicago to Washington, D.C.  Love it!

It was a beautiful weekend.  I love Chicago.  Sharing it with the BF is always special, and taking a run this time was a really great addition to the experience for me.  Try it if you go.  It'll be fun.

For now, I had better get moving.  Time to focus on the next trip: a conference for my job (one I'm very excited about), my first half marathon, crab cakes in Baltimore, art in the National Gallery, and some monuments to boot.

I'm so pumped!

Until then, thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment