Saturday, April 6, 2013

Five Things That Running and Music Have In Common

I Sing

This has been a quiet week here on the blog.  I've been gearing up for my concert tonight.  I'm an alto in our community's semi-professional choir.  www.whiteheronchorale.org  Tonight is a special 35th anniversary concert, and I've spent several of my evenings this week volunteering at the office with some little details.  Not a bad reason to break from the blog, right?

Passion

I love to sing.  I love it.  I like running, yes, but I love singing.  If I'm not singing, it's because something's wrong.  Literally.  If a day goes by that I haven't sung in my office, at the workroom copier, or in my kitchen, something is up.  It's a sure sign that I've got a lot on my mind, or a serious case of the blues.

I can sing.  I'm not fabulous, but I can hold my own ok.  I'm fortunate to have a pretty decent voice, and some good genes that make music come fairly naturally to me.  But more importantly, I have music in my soul.  Yeah, I get that sounds cheesy, but if you are a musician, you know it's a pretty good descriptor.  If you're a runner, you can relate to the drive and passion and need to always have that one thing in your life that helps you feel like YOU.

With that in mind, on this day of an exciting concert for me, I'm inspired to make a quick list.  You know how I love lists.  :)

Five Things That Running and Music Have in Common

1) You have to want it.  Even if you are someone to whom it comes easily, you still have to put your soul into it to truly succeed.
2) You can share it, or keep it to yourself.  Some people are soloists.  Some people like ensembles.  Some people prefer to run alone.  Some people prefer group runs.
3) There's always room for improvement.  You can always run faster, meet a new personal best, go a greater distance.  There's always a more challenging piece, or a solo in the next concert, or a song you could write.
4) You have to do it for yourself, but those who love you will want to share it.  If you don't have the personal drive, you won't do it.  You are the one who has to get up early and lace up.  You are the one who has to sit at the piano and plunk notes.  But, those who truly love you will ache to share it with you.  They'll be at that finish line to share your tears of joy and accomplishment.  They'll be on their feet first for the standing ovation.  Your passion will be something some people will ache to get a piece of and share with you.
5) Hydration is indescribably important.  Speaking of which, I've gotta go drink some water.  :)


Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment