Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Running for Boston- Afterthoughts


Our Local Event

Monday night, like many places around the country, one of our local running stores organized a "Run for Boston" event.  I was pretty excited to participate.  The weather cooperated, so I flew home after work to change, and headed out.

The local news stations reported about 200 runners/walkers participated. 



People were encouraged to either wear Boston Marathon colors, or a race shirt.  As you can see from the photo, there were Boston marathoners in the crowd. Several were wearing 2013 finisher shirts.  I felt like I was running with celebrities. 
How crazy to knowingly rub elbows with Boston marathoners
Of course, they seemed like normal, cool runners, but woah.  These people deserve some extra respect.  Not just the ones who lived through last week's madness, but anyone who could qualify and then accomplish the frigging Boston Marathon!


Beyond my Worship and Awe

The run went from a local park, over the highway, and onto the Apple Creek Trail.  Apple Creek is a sweet trail that runs north of our main highway here.  It is paved, somewhat curvy, and winds past marshy land.  Its fairly wide open and windy, but one of my favorite places to run.  Back up over the highway (more wind) and into town to the park again, we ran and walked our own paces.  No police blocking streets... just us on sidewalks and trails. 

Cars honked as we ran across the highway overpass, and most yielded to our big crowd as me moved across fairly busy intersections.  Some runners had flags, some had strollers, some were in groups, and some were alone.  It was a great run.  In spite of the wind and the hills (which I have not been running lately), I had my fastest pace since I started back up running almost a year ago.  That's inspiration for ya'!



My Highlight

At one point, I was passed by a dad running with his daughter on his shoulders.  ok... So as at peace as I am with my nice slow pace, being passed by a kid on a guy's shoulders would normally bum me out.  I mean, gee whiz.  But not this dad.  This dad wore a Boston finisher shirt.

As fast as I could, I whipped my iPhone sleeve off and tried to snap a photo of them.  Unfortunately, even that awesomely athletic dad could only hold that not-so-tiny girl up there for so long.  So, please humor me, and picture what a neat sight that was.




Later That Night

After I got home, showered, and hung out with the BF for a bit, we decided to make a quick run for ice cream.  Nothing like eating the calories just burned, right?  Yum!
I have to point out that I got the frozen yogurt, so I wasn't totally glutunous.  I highly recommend Cold Stone's Banana Bread Batter frozen yogurt... with graham cracker crust.  Love it!





sheesh!  I look tired!  (but happy :)
 
 
 

 
Did you partipate in a "Run for Boston" this week?
 
 
 
Thanks for reading.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment