Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My First Marathon... Supporting Boston?


I'm Registered!

Ok, we are registered.  I'm on a relay team to run the Green Bay Cellcom Marathon next month.  As I've mentioned in my past post, this is the first relay for all five of us.  I'm excited to share the accomplishment of a marathon with four really great people.  I finally picked a not-very-thought-out team name, and registered us for the May 19th race.

What a great way to get a marathon medal!  ;)

  www.cellcomgreenbaymarathon.com

A relay marathon is still a marathon, right?  :)



Fear

I'll be honest: in the wake of the Boston sadness, I briefly debated backing out of this marathon.  While Green Bay is not likely high on a terrorist's target list, it's the copy cats that are a possibility everywhere.  I feel a loss of that sense of safety I've always taken for granted.

I am overwhelmed with the thought that just under a month ago I stood at the start line in Washington D.C., and I have no recollection of much security at all.  I didn't notice if there was any, because that was the last thing on my mind.
 
I thought about potential injury, exhaustion, the BF, my goals, my medal... but not my safety.  Looking around at the huge amount of runners and supporters, I was thrilled with the idea of being part of something so big.  I soaked up energy that buzzed off that crowd of people, and bounced it right back at them.  A potential enemy among them was never a thought in my mind.
 
While that won't be something I take for granted again, fear will not stop me from achieving my goals.  I will still run this relay with great people.  I will still go to Chicago and cheer on the BF as he runs his first marathon (second, if you count the relay ;).   I will still set bigger and better running goals. 
 
 
Supporting Boston? 


Like many in the running community, I wore a race shirt to work yesterday.

 
 
No one else in the office did, but no one called me out on breaking dress code, either.  I think it led to some conversations with people, and we all had a chance to process things together.  That was a benefit, of course, but I'm not sure it helped any of the victims.
 
I'm not sure awareness of the event is anything anyone is lacking, so wearing my shirt wasn't for that.  I didn't donate money to a charity in order to be able to wear it, like I would for a denim Friday.  I suppose maybe the knowledge victims may have had of runners wearing their shirts might have given them some comfort...
 
But honestly, I think wearing that race shirt was more for me.  Somehow it gave me a sense of standing with the victims and their families.  It was a way for me to...mourn? ...heal? ...cope?   I'm not sure, but somehow it made me feel better.
 
Right now, until I can choose some better way...(maybe a fund to donate to, an organization to join, etc.)  I think I can best support those affected by the Boston bombing by running.  Running all the races I have been intending to run.  Supporting the races I've been intending to support.  Not letting this tragedy slow me down or prevent me from doing anything I had planned to do.  I'll show my support by not being deterred.
 
And by running.  For myself, and for those who cannot.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment